Matsumoto Shave Ice is one of the most iconic eateries in Haleiwa on Oahu’s North Shore. Locals and visitors alike flock to Matsumoto’s for their famous shave ice, which is why there’s typically a line out the door waiting for this simple yet satisfying frozen treat. Once you try it for yourself, you’ll see why it’s known as some of the best shave ice in Hawaii. They also offer a variety of syrups and toppings that accommodate a vegan diet!
Fun fact: Shave ice is known to many as “snow cones” or maybe even “shaved ice”, but in Hawaii, the correct term is shave ice!
The story behind North Shore Oahu's Best Shave Ice
Matsumoto Shave Ice was founded in 1951 by Mamoru and Helen Matsumoto when they decided to start selling shave ice out of their grocery store located along Oahu’s beautiful North Shore. Soon after, people from across the world came to Haleiwa for the warm weather, big waves, and scrumptious shave ice saturated with Matsumoto’s homemade syrup.
Matsumoto’s is family-run to this day and has expanded to sell T-shirts, souvenirs, and other local snacks. This is a great place to pick up gifts for families and friends!
Shave Ice Flavors and Toppings Guide
Matsumoto Shave Ice offers over 40 different syrup flavors! View them all here.
Some popular syrup combinations include:
- Rainbow: Strawberry, Lemon, Pineapple
- Matsumoto’s: Lemon, Pineapple, Coconut
- Hawaiian: Pineapple, Coconut, Banana
- Tropical: Lilikoi (passion fruit), Guava, Papaya
Toppings and Extras:
- Condensed Milk – this gives the shave ice a creamier flavor and texture
- Vanilla Ice Cream – get a scoop underneath your shave ice
- Mochi – a chewy Japanese dessert made from pounded sticky rice
- Azuki Beans – Japanese red beans cooked with sugar and water; placed at the bottom of the shave ice
- The only non-vegan items on Matsumoto’s menu are vanilla ice cream, condensed milk, and cream flavors (strawberry cream, banana cream, and coconut cream)
There is parking located behind the shopping center Matsumoto Shave Ice is located in. It can get very crowded on weekends, so prepare to be one of many cars looking for a spot.
Matsumoto Shave Ice is located in building #605.